NHQ:ISD - VWE: SAF/IS Onboarding Lead
NHQ:ISD - VWE: SAF/IS Onboarding Lead
This position supports the National Headquarters (NHQ) Services to Armed Forces (SAF) department and International Services (ISD) departments. This is a remote (volunteer-from-home) position. The purpose of the SAF/IS Onboarding Lead is to ensure that all new volunteers and staff (workforce) in the Service to the Armed Forces and International Services National Headquarters, Division level, and OCONUS (outside of the continental United States) departments establish a positive relationship with the department. The Onboarding Lead ensures that workforce supervisors understand the essentials of onboarding and their responsibilities in the onboarding process. The Onboarding Lead ensures that the onboarding steps are being completed for every volunteer and new staffer. The SAF/IS Onboarding lead will support the department by aggregating all onboarding documents and requirements which includes creating a staff and volunteer track and determining what technology to use to track completion. The Onboarding Lead will work with the Volunteer Engagement team to schedule and host bi-monthly onboarding calls. The onboarding process welcomes people to the department, introduces the workforce to how the department supports the Red Cross mission and has the resources to be set up for success.Apply Now
Remote/Virtual Volunteer Opportunity
- Provide oversight to onboarding tasks ensuring all new department volunteers and staff are welcomed, introduced to their volunteer supervisor (if applicable) and provided department onboarding.
- Ensure Volunteer Supervisors understand the four essentials of onboarding and their responsibilities in the onboarding process.
- Train department workforce supervisors how to utilize onboarding tools and checklist.
- Work with Volunteer Engagement Team to schedule and host bi-monthly orientation sessions
- Ensure that all department onboarding documents live in one central location that is accessible to all volunteers and staff
- Ensure that each track of onboarding (paid staff and volunteer) are documented properly
- Ensure Department has a ready-to-go Department Overview session that provides a basic overview of how the department supports the Red Cross mission; how the work of the volunteer supports the Red Cross mission; department structure and priorities; appropriate systems, policies, procedures; department culture (e.g., department meeting schedule and informal/formal events) and how to update their profile and submit hours in Volunteer Connection.
- Work with volunteer supervisors to ensure that onboarding task completion is tracked in Volunteer Connection [Note: Tracking enhancement in development].
- Run onboarding report regularly and share with volunteer supervisors who have outstanding tasks to be completed [Note: Report in development].
- Actively participate on the ISD/SAF Engagement Team.
- Collaborate with Volunteer Supervisors to ensure volunteer satisfaction with the onboarding process.
- Participate in the annual Volunteer Workforce Planning Process.
- Enthusiastic about Red Cross mission and programs
- Cultural sensitivity to diverse audiences
- Work well both individually and with others
- Experience in onboarding employees or volunteers
- Experience in providing orientation or introductory trainings
- Relationship building skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff/volunteer partners
- Understanding of the value of volunteer service and ability to provide leadership and support to ensure volunteers have a rewarding experience
- Experience working with technology and organizing documents in a cloud-based location
- Comfortable public speaking via Microsoft Teams and hosting meetings
- Knowledge and understanding of Red Cross services and operations and opportunities for volunteer service
- Orientation to the American Red Cross
- PMDP Volunteer Supervisor Courses: (required)
- Effective Onboarding and Training
- Volunteer Connection Basics: Profiles, Hours Manager and GroupShare
- Engaging Remote Volunteers
- Department specific training as needed
- Team building and collaboration within the department
- Regional leadership positions
- Additional volunteer engagement positions
- Leadership and supervisory experience
Length of Appointment
Minimum 1 year commitment, renewable
5 hours per week, Some availability during business hours, with flexible hours