Lead: Disaster Workforce Engagement- Deployment
Lead: Disaster Workforce Engagement- Deployment
This position supports the Regional Disaster Cycle Services department. The purpose of this position is to prepare, recruit, and deploy responders to disaster operations.Apply Now
Remote/Virtual Volunteer Opportunity
- Coordination of Disaster Cycle Services (DCS) team, Disaster Workforce Engagement (DWE) Team and responders to ensure responder readiness,
- Assigning and deploying responders from within their region to affected areas (or provided notification of deployment), and
- Ensuring that the steps in the Deploy Workers Standards and Procedures are completed.
- Engage volunteers to accomplish assigned tasks.
- This role may also transition to a Staff Services role during regional, divisional, and national disaster operations.
- Serve as the primary regional representative (or assign designee) on Division Disaster Readiness Workgroups
Active participation on the DWE Team including the following readiness and operational activities:
- Recruit to ensure deployment team coverage - geographical representation. (in coordination with DWE)
- Ensure deployment team members are trained (in coordination with RMSSA) in recruitment and deployment procedures.
- Ensure monitoring of DOOR or on-call coverage by team members.
- Ensure team members have accurate contact information for Health Reviewers, Mission Cards, and regional notification of deployments (see Regional Deployment Contacts Worksheet)
- Review and be familiar with regional rosters and regional capacity (insert report details and instruction)
- Identify trends and issue in data quality and communicate to the DWET
- Monitor availability and coordinate with the team to communication with responders to increase availability
- Review post deployment interview information collected by team members for trends in recruitment, deployment or operational issues. Work with team or RMSSA to address.
- Monitor mission card inventory
- Promote deployment to staff and volunteers throughout the region and assist and train responders to enter their availability
- Ensure coverage of team members during periods of recruitment.
- Confirm availability of supporting teams including Health Reviewers and Mission Card issuers during periods of recruitment.
- Support team members during periods of recruitment.
- Provide assignment reports to the Regional Disaster Officer (RDO) as requested (insert report details and instruction)
- Monitor availability information to ensure available responders are being assigned - when staff requests are posted.
- Ensure timely completion of post-deployment interviews.
- Ensure coordinated communication to workforce to increase availability for deployment to DRO.
- Willingness to comply with Red Cross COVID-19 policies for in-person volunteer activities.
- Knowledge of Red Cross Disaster Services and Regional Programs and Activities
- Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things that she/she sees as challenging.
- Treats all kinds and classes of people equitably; deals effectively with all races, nationalities, cultures, disabilities, ages and both sexes.
Building Effective Teams
- Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Picks up on the need to change personal, interpersonal and managerial behavior quickly; watches others for their reactions to his/her performance and adjusts; seeks feedback.
- Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team; sets clear expectations; deals with problems in a timely manner; regularly reviews individual performance and holds timely discussions.
- Clearly and comfortably delegates tasks and decisions; broadly shares responsibility and accountability; trusts people to perform; lets direct reports finish their own work.
- Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
- Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during stressful times; is a settling influence in a crisis.
- Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team members; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working with and for.
- Sees ahead clearly; anticipates future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; creates competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
Dealing with Ambiguity
- Effectively copes with change; can shift gears comfortable; decides and acts without having the total picture; isn't upset when things are up in the air; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
Attention to detail
- Good organizational skills
- Computer savvy-knowledgeable and familiar with Red Cross training databases.
- Volunteer Connection Disaster Management.
- Disaster Services: An Overview
- Deployment Fundamentals
- Deployment Training Series
Leadership and program management
Length of Appointment
1 year renewable